CLOSING DATE 20TH MARCH 2011
Applications received after this date will not be considered. Please allow plenty of time if you are posting from overseas.
From 14st – 28th August 2011, Kuona Trust Centre for Visual Arts will be holding it’s 11th International Artists’ Workshop and are inviting applications from visual artists and art writers working in all disciplines.
Wasanii International Arists’ Workshop is part of the larger Triangle Network workshops and this year’s theme is “In Conversation”. The emphasis this year is on discussion, dialogue and debate, though artists will not be discouraged from making art, the goal of this workshop is to encourage conversation around artists’ practice and to document this artistic exchange across cultures.
The two-week workshop will bring together a group of artists and writers working in various disciplines to share ideas, experiences inspired by the context, discourse and the opportunity to work alongside other artists.
Approximately 20 artists will participate; half from Kenya and the rest from other countries in Africa and further a field. During the workshop participants will be expected to present their work to each other and to the public. The workshop will end with an Open Day, when the public will join the artists in celebrating the outcome of the two weeks. The workshop will be documented for a short film.
Kuona will provide the successful applicants with full lodging and food, working space, local transportation and a small material stipend.
International artists must find funding for their airfares and visas. Artists from Africa will be expected to apply to www.artmovesafrica.org for travel funds. Kuona will assist as much as possible to facilitate these applications.
(AMA travel grant application Deadline 1st May for travel after 1st July)
All candidates must submit their completed applications which MUST include:
1. An application letter stating why you should be considered.
2. A brief CV (one side of A4)
3. Your artist statement (maximum 300 words)
4. A supporting statement (maximum 200 words) outlining your current practice
a) Up to six digital images of recent work numbered to correspond with the image information sheet or, if you are a practitioner in film or time-based media:
b) a DVD labelled with your name, title of work, and running time. The segment/showreel should not exceed more than 10 minutes.
NB Please do not submit a DVD documenting artistic process or stills of artwork.
6. A numbered list of the images submitted (or CD/video script) with title, date of work, medium and size. Please include a brief (2-3 sentences) description of the work.
Important – Please Note:
- Text files should be in a Microsoft Word compatible format.
- DVD’s must formatted to play in conventional players
- Maximum digital file size of submitted artwork 1200 x 1200 pixels, 72 DPI.
- All images must be submitted in JPG format.
- Kuona Trust cannot be held responsible for loss of material sent by post and we would advise applicants to use a special delivery service if available to them.
- We are unable to acknowledge receipt of applications but all applicants will be notified by 4th April 2011 of the outcome.
- We are unable to return materials
Applications must arrive by the deadline of Sunday 20st March 2011 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com